Headaches are quite common and people will not take it seriously till it becomes severe or chronic. Another reason why people don’t bother much about headache is, in most of cases headache is not indicative of a life-threatening condition.
People let it heal itself or try to get relief by having some quick headache medicine. In this, people don’t understand that how headache then no matter whether it is minor or chronic affecting their routine life.
As you are here we can assume that you are taking your headache problem seriously and definitely want to get rid of as soon as possible. Don’t worry you are at right place. Here we will share the best tips to treat headaches.
We advise you to follow all the directions or tips to get treat your headache problem. Now, before you jumping on tips we want you to start with the basics so that you can know about your problem in detail.
What Is A Headache?
You obviously know what headache is but if you want to describe it then know that it is an uneasiness or sensation of pain in the head. We call this condition ‘headache’ in regular conversation.
You can experience a headache in different areas of your head and its intensity can vary. Apart from that, the reasons for arising headaches can also be different.
Headache generally starts affecting you when you enter your 20s. If you left untreated then it will increase gradually till the age of 40 to 50.
After this, it starts decreasing significantly. It is a case that happens with more than 50% of adults worldwide. Your case may differ depends on various factors like the lifestyle you are living, level of tension, food habits, and much more.
Types of Headache
In general, we simply classify the headache as low or severe. In this, know that Headaches can be broadly categorized into primary headaches and secondary headaches. Let’s first discuss about the primary ones.
Headaches that are not caused by any medical problem and generally happen independently are categorized under primary headaches. Reasons for primary headache include:
Over 70% of adults experience tension headaches. Such headache identified by pain in the head’s both side that results in tightening sensation.
Tension headache happens frequently and lasts for a few minutes to days. Excessive stress or bad posture is one of the prime reasons for tension headaches.
You definitely heard about migraines. It is a situation in which you may feel photophobia (sensitivity to light), vomiting, and light headedness along with a pulsating headache. Moreover, you may also experience some visual problems.
It is a condition in which you will experience a severe headache that can last for a few minutes. What makes it different from the above ones is, cluster headache can occur multiple times in a day.
Secondary headache can occur from a head injury or underlying disease that creates pressure or cause displacement of pain-sensitive nerve endings.
In secondary headache, you generally experience pain on the part of the head that has pain-sensitive muscles or nerve endings.
Dental problems, sinus problems, and tension in the muscles of the scalp and neck can also be responsible for secondary headaches.
How to Find Out What Kind Of Headache You Are Suffering From?
If you have pain on one side of your head then it is a sign that you are suffering from tension headache or migraine.
If you are experiencing pain on the left side of your head then the reason could be stress. On the other side, if you are experiencing pain on the right side then it could be a neurological condition.
Cluster headache is quite uncommon and can be experienced in 1 in 1000 adults. If you are experiencing pain around one eye. Along with the headache if you have drooping eyelid, reddening in the eye, and runny nose then these are the signs that you may have a cluster headache.
Coming to secondary headache then there are many reasons that include:
- Medication overuse
- Using tight goggles
- Crying for a long time
- Excessive drinking or smoking
- Stress and tension
- Strain on the neck
- Carbon monoxide poisoning
- Altitude sickness (lack of oxygen)
- Hormonal imbalance
- Eye strain (looking at the computer, mobile screens, or television for long durations)
- Extreme cold or hot temperature
- Genetics (migraine headaches can be hereditary)
- Side effects of medication
DIY Tips To Manage Headache
You can follow our self-care measures even if you are taking any medicine or following any practice to manage your headache. No matter what kind of headache you are experiencing following mentioned tips will definitely help you to get some relief from headaches.
We strongly recommend you follow the tips if your headache is not reaching that level where your routine is not affecting or disturbing then you can follow some tips to control your headache. Practicing the mentioned tips will help you to manage your headache without medication or other treatment.
- Depending on the type of work you do, try to maintain a good posture for maximum time.
- Regular exercise is one of the best ways to fight with your headache. If your headache occurs because of stress then do regular exercise as it will not just help in reducing stress but it also releases the body’s natural pain killers that are known as endorphins. Apart from that, exercise also helps you in getting sound sleep.
- If you grind your teeth then we recommend you use a mouthguard.
- You can use abdominal breathing like biofeedback techniques to manage headache pain.
- If you notice that specific food items trigger your headache instantly then no need to say that you need to avoid eating such food. The list of food that generally triggers headaches includes dry fruits with sulfates, red wine, and certain cheese.
- Avoid drinking and smoking as much as possible.
- Practicing yoga and meditation will help you to reduce your headache.
- Eat your meals on time. The best you can do is eat at regular intervals.
- Taking a bath with warm water will help you to calm down your headache pain.
- If you are experiencing vision problems then instead of ignoring it get a prescription glasses as soon as possible if required.
- You can take the help of heat therapies to manage your tension headache. Heat therapy is also used to manage migraine attacks. However, keep in mind that heat therapy is not working for everyone as it can also trigger a headache. We advise you to take it under the supervision of an expert.
- Take adequate sleep and rest to avoid sleep deprivation. Adequate sleep time can differ from person to person. The recommended sleep time is 6 to 8 hours. You can find out the right sleeping hours by yourself or simply consult with your doctor.
Natural Home Remedies to Get Relief From a Headache
- Increase Your Daily Intake of Water
One of the prime reasons for headaches is dehydration. Dehydration generally occurs because of excessive fluid loss or less fluid intake. Dryness in mouth, constant thirst, and lethargy are some common symptoms of dehydration.
If your body has less water level then it might be one of the prime reasons for your headache. You need to increase your fluid intake.
Apart from drinking regular water, you can start consuming water rich foods, ORS or oral rehydration solution, coconut water, and more.
Keep in mind that not every fluid will keep you hydrated. You need to avoid drinking carbonated drinks or alcohol as they encourage dehydration.
Add Ginger to Your Diet
Ginger has multiple benefits, all thanks to its anti-inflammatory properties. Apart from giving you relief in cold, ginger will help you to manage your headache pain.
Ginger directly acts on the head’s blood vessels that ultimately help in alleviating pain.
Additionally, because of its abortive and prophylactic properties, it is highly recommended to treat migraine headaches.
Apply An Ice Pack
Headaches can occur because of inflammation. You can take the help of an ice pack to reduce the inflammation.
No, you don’t have to apply it on the head.
You need to apply the icepack on your neck. If you don’t have an ice pack then you can use the packet of frozen vegetables or something similar.
You know what acupressure is. If not, then know that it is a technique in which pressure has been built on special body points that are known as acupoints. It is a famous traditional Chinese technique.
Acupressure is known to enhance blood circulation and releasing muscle tension.
So apart from your headache acupressure will help you to get rid of your other body pain. For best results, we recommend you to get acupressure therapy only from the experts.
Use Essential Oils for Aromatherapy and Massage
Aromatherapy is quite popular these days as it is very helpful in relieving headache pain. According to research rosemary, basil, lavender, and rose essential oils are very helpful in salivating headaches.
If you are suffering from migraine headache then you can use lavender oil. To get rid of headaches from tension or stress you can use menthol in peppermint.
Yoga is a solution to many problems then no matter whether it is related to your body or your thoughts. Yoga seems too easy for many but it is not. If you want to get most from yoga then it is highly advised to take guidance from experts only.
Yes, there are multiple blogs and videos available that help you to learn yoga but still, we recommend you take help from experts especially if you want to get results rapidly.
We hope you like our guide on headaches. If you find our tips and information useful then we request you to share it with your friends and family so that they can also leverage the information. Meanwhile, if you have any suggestions or have any questions for us then feel free to use the below comment box to leave your concern.